(II Kings 2: 9 – 15)
The Role of God: Elijah could not give Elisha a double portion of his anointing only God could. In the same way our spiritual father in the Lord cannot give us anointing only God can. A personal knowledge of God is required for receiving a double portion of the anointing. God alone is all-sufficient and He gives us all things to enjoy. We cannot know God and lack the anointing. He is a rewarder.
The Role of Elijah (The spiritual Father): It was Elijah that whetted the appetite of Elisha for a double portion. It is our father also that whets our appetite for the double portion. A good father wants his children to be greater than him. It is our father who teaches us how to get from God what he cannot give us. It is our father who commits God on our behalf. It our father’s anointing that determines what we get because what we get is proportional to our father’s anointing. It is the God of Elijah that released the anointing to Elisha. It is the God of our father in the Lord who releases the anointing to us as well.
The Role of Elisha (Characteristics of the man who gets double portion): There are certain characteristics that made Elisha received a double portion of Elijah’s anointing. Anyone who wants a double portion must have these characteristics. They include the following.
1. He must be inspired by God: Elisha was prepared by God for his calling.
2. He must put spiritual things above physical: Elisha was very serious about his spiritual relationship with God and with Elijah. We need to do the same.
3. He must be someone who knows how to seize the moment: Elisha seized the moment when the opportunity to receive double portion was presented to him
4. He must be fully ready: Elisha was fully ready spiritually to receive double portion; the five wise virgins were ready. We too must be fully ready.
5. He must be spiritually awake: Elisha was spiritually awake, no wonder he was able to receive a double portion of his master’s anointing.
6. He must be heavenly gazed: Elisha’s focus was on God and things of God.
7. He must give no room for distraction: Elisha was highly focused and he refused to be distracted by the sons of the prophets. We must do the same.
8. He must be divinely covetous: God wants us to covet the best spiritual gifts.
9. He must have a servant spirit: Elisha served Elijah well as he ministered unto him (II Kings 3: 11).
10. He is the one who asks for the double portion. Elisha asked and he received